I live for one pot meals. I had a box of orzo in my pantry and some cherry tomatoes sitting in my fridge so I threw together this one pot creamy Italian sausage orzo…and WOW! Delish! It’s not overly creamy, just enough to pull it all together. If you aren’t a fan of Italian sausage, pork sausage will do, just squeeze it out the casing. Enjoy!
This is the Italian sausage I used, didn’t even have to squeeze it out the casing. I also enjoy the Johnsonville Sweet Mild.
One Pot Creamy Italian Sausage Orzo
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb. Italian sausage (squeezed out the casing)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup (or more if you like) cherry tomatoes
32 oz. chicken broth
1 lb orzo
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown the sausage in the olive oil then add the garlic. Cook for two minutes.
2. Add the wine and cook until it reduces a little. Add tomatoes and cook until they soften and start to burst. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Add orzo and cook at a low simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
4. Add half and half and cook for additional 2-3 minutes until orzo is cooked.
5. Sprinkle in parmesan cheese. Give it a stir and serve! Fresh basil would be a fabulous garnish.